It’s been a while, I guess, huh?
Sorry about that. But yet…not really. See, there’s this thing called “summer vacation” going on right now. It has caused me to lose all sense of time and responsibility. My alarm clock rarely works these days. When it does, the fan in my bedroom is too loud for me to hear it anyway. So, I often just don’t bother.
The only things I was determined to accomplish this summer were the essentials. That’s it. I really was going to write out a summer manifesto. Just because I like the idea. Because I’m a natural born list maker and planner outer and weird like that. But really, all it would have had on it to do would be “the basics”. Like making sure the house is livable, the kids are surviving, and there’s enough food around to keep everyone happy. And then, if there’s any time left in the day, then maybe tackle something above and beyond the basics.
So far that plan is working out pretty well. It’s nice to not have put any pressure on myself to go, and do, and plan, and go and do some more. We’re taking our summer slow and easy. Spending some afternoons by the pool. Hanging out with friends. Eating fresh, easy to prepare, food. Having days where we’re just quiet, enjoying the chance to just slow down, be still. The kids are reading books, lounging around on the sofas, playing games, hanging with neighbor kids, having way too few responsibilities, and probably way too much screen time.
I’m putting fewer items on my to-do list. Focusing each day on what really needs to be done. And yes, some days I even do get something done besides the basics.
The weekends have been busy, so I feel a little justified about not doing too much throughout the week.
It’s hard to believe that our summer vacation is nearly halfway over. In a few short weeks I’ll be planning for the kids to go back to school. I love these summer days. But I will be ready. My personality can only handle so much laziness. I’m itching already to get back to my normal routine. I tell myself that I can do it. That I can get back to my routine, even if it’s summertime. But then, one too many late bedtimes and all my resolve flies right out the window and morning comes around way too quickly. But I’m going to try. I am.
These days I am:
1. gearing up for a really fun thing that I can’t wait to tell you more about. Yay!
2. Contemplating migrating my craft space to a tiny room right off of our bedroom. Still deciding if it really will work or not. It will require a little downsizing, but it would also mean that I could craft, take photos, and blog, all in the same space. There are a few more drawbacks, and a few more upsides too. Still thinking.
3. Making this salad recipe. It’s just so good! Salads are my favorite dish over the summer.
4. Making this one when I’m in more of a pasta salad mood.
5. Trying to satisfy my sweet tooth with healthy, wholesome desserts, like this one. It’s yummy! Even the kids loved these. They didn’t last long.
6. Loving these sweet little paintings. I think I’d like to make one.
7. Mastering this spray paint technique. It’s super easy and the results are amazing.
A bit about the card: Stamps are from Lil’ Inker Designs, triangle die and enamel dots from Studio Calico, and distress inks in blue and yellow.
Hope you’re all having a great summer so far!